Lobelia Samavati, MD, FCCP
M.D., Professor, Research Educator, Director, Sarcoidosis/ILD Center, Full Time, Medical Fellow/Resident/Student Instruction
Lobelia Samavati, MD, FCCP
Harper University Hospital
3990 John R - 3 Hudson
Detroit, MI 48201
Post Graduate Training
10/91-02/92 Internal Medicine, Withington & Christie Hospital, University Hospitals of South Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
02/92-06/92 General Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Plastic and Thoracic Surgery, City Hospital Cologne-Merheim, Teaching Hospital of the University of Cologne,
06/92-09/92 Neurology, City Hospital Cologne-Merheim, Teaching Hospital of the University of Cologne, Germany
07/96-07/99 Internal Medicine, Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
04/93-10/94 Internal Medicine & Rheumatology, State Clinic for Rheumatology, Aachen, Germany
07/99-07/02 Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa , USA
1. Sanlioglu S, Williams CM, Samavati L, Butler NS, Wang G, McCary, PB Jr, Ritchie TC, Hunninghake GW, Zandi E, Engelhardt JF.
Lipopolysaccharide induces Rac1-dependent reactive oxygen species formation and coordinates tumor necrosis factor-alpha secretion through IKK regulation of NF-kappa B. J Biol Chem 2001; 276 (32): 30188-98.
2. Samavati L, Monick MM, Sanlioglu S, Buettner GR, Oberley LW, Hunninghake G.
Mitochondrial K-ATP channel openers activate the ERK kinase by an oxidant dependent mechanism. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 2002; 283(1): C273-81
3. Samavati L, Monick MM, Butler NS, Mohning M, Powers L, Yarovinsky T, Spitz DR, Hunninghake G W.
Intracellular thiols contribute toTH2 Function via a positive role on IL-4 production. J Immunol 2003; 171(10): 5107-15
4. Huttemann M, Lee I, Samavati L, Yu H, and Doan JW.
Regulation of the mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation machinery through cell signaling. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Cell Research, Volume 1783, Issue 1, Pages 1-168. January 2008
5. Bourbonnais J M and Samavati L.
Clinical Predictors in Pulmonary Hypertension in Sarcoidosis. European Respiratory Journal, 2008 Aug;32 (2):296-302
6. Samavati L, Lee I, Mathes I, Lottspeich F, and Huttemann M.
TNFα Inhibits Oxidative Phosphorylation through Tyrosine Phosphorylation at Subunit I of Cytochrome c Oxidase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2008 Jul 25;283(30):21134-44
7. Malaisamy S, Bourbonnais J M, Dalal B, Samarakoon P , Parikh S, Smith-Cobb P and Samavati L
Distance Saturation Product Predicts Health Related Quality of Life of Patients with Sarcoidosis (Manuscript submitted)
8- L. Samavati, Ruchi Rastogi, Wenjin Du, Maik Huttemann, Luigi Franchi, and Gabriel Nuňez
STAT3 Tyrosine Phosphorylation Is Critical for Interleukin 1-beta andInterleukin-6 Production In Response to Lipopolysaccharide and Live Bacteria (Manuscript submitted)
- 10/04-present Basic research in collaboration with the laboratory of Drs. Grossman/Huttemann. Topic: Effect of Inflammation (TNF α) on cellular respiration and Cytochrome C oxidase
- 10/04-present Quality of Life in Patients with Sarcoidosis - IRB approval December 2005. IRB extended until December 2008. Completed enrollment
- 10/06-present Study of Predictors of Pulmonary Hypertension in Sarcoidosis- IRB approval since November 2008
- 07/07-present Sarcoidosis, Hepatitis C and Interferon-alpha treatment of Hepatitis C (IRB approval since 07/07)
- 02/07-present Pharmacokinetics of Fondaparinux in Critically Ill Patients in a Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) Investigator initiated research
- 09/07-present A phase IIb randomized, double-blind, parallel group, multi-center study to assess the efficacy and safety of multiple 30 minute infusions of Conivaptan in subjects with hypervolemic hyponatremia
- 04/08-present Genetic Protein Markers for Sarcoidosis (Crypyrine and NOD Polymorphism) and Their Roles in Innate Immunity (IRB since 04/08-04/09)
- 07/00-07/02 Basic research in the laboratory of Dr. Hunninghake Topic: Oxidant mediated cell signaling.
- 1989-91 Experimental research at the Institute of Clinical Chemistry of the University of Cologne with Prof. Dr. Karl Oette Topic: Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism of Hydroxy-methyl Co-A Reductase gene in patients with Familial Hypercholesterolemia Type IIa
- 02/07-present Pharmacokinetics of Fondaparinux in Critically Ill Patients in a Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) Investigator initiated research (80K Grant from GSK)
- 09/07-present A phase IIb randomized, double-blind, parallel group, multi-center study to assess the efficacy and safety of multiple 30 minute infusions of Conivaptan in subjects with hypervolemic hyponatremia (sponsored by Astellas Pharma INC, IRB approval since 09/07 completed)
04/86-11/92 Medical School at the University of Cologne, Germany
(Combined undergraduate and graduate medical school program)
Received Medical Degree November 1992
10/04 - Present
Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
Detroit Medical Center
Pulmonary and Critical Care
Bad Berka, Germany