M Safwan Badr, MD
(313) 966-9833 (fax)
M Safwan Badr, MD
Harper University Hospital
3990 John R, 3-Hudson
Detroit, MI 48201
Post Graduate Training
1983-84 Intern, Internal Medicine, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL
1984-86 Resident, Internal Medicine, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL
1986-89 Fellow, Dept. of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
1989-90 Pulmonary Research Associate, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin and
Medical School, Madison, WI
Original Observations in Refereed Journals:
1.Sankari A, Bascom A, Oomman S, Badr MS. Sleep disordered breathing in chronic spinal cord injury. J Clin Sleep Med. 10(1):65-72, 2014.
2. Alkatib S, Sankri-Tarbichi AG, Badr MS. In Press Sleep Breath. 2013.
3. Sankri-Tarbichi AG, Grullon K, Badr MS. Effects of clonidine on breathing during sleep and susceptibility to central apnoea. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 185(2):356-61, 2013.
4. Soares D, Folbe AJ, Yoo G, Badr MS, Rowley JA, Lin HS. Drug-Induced Sleep Endoscopy vs Awake Muller's Maneuver in the Diagnosis of Severe Upper Airway Obstruction. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 148(1):151-6, 2013.
5. Pranathiageswaran S, Badr MS, Severson R, Rowley JA. The influence of race on the severity of sleep disordered breathing. J Clin Sleep Med. 9(4):303-9, 2013.
6. Lin HS, Rowley JA, Badr MS, Folbe AJ, Yoo GH, Victor L, Mathog RH, Chen W. Transoral robotic surgery for treatment of obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea syndrome. Laryngoscope. 123(7):1811-6, 2013.
7. Chowdhuri S, Bascom A, Mohan D, Diamond MP, Badr MS. Testosterone Conversion Blockade Increases Breathing Stability in Healthy Men during NREM Sleep. Sleep. 36(12):1793-8, 2013.
8. Sankari A, Bascom A, Chowdhuri S, Badr MS. Tetraplegia is a risk factor for central sleep apnea. In Press- J Appl Physiol. 2013.
9.Khan NN, Badr MS. Deep venous thrombosis attributed to sleep apnea. Am J Med. 126(8), 2013.
10. Sankri-Tarbichi AG, Grullon K, Badr MS. Effects of clonidine on breathing during sleep and susceptibility to central apnoea. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 185(2):356-61, 2013.
11. Chowdhuri S, Ghabsha A, Sinha P, Kadri M, Narula S, Badr MS. Treatment of central sleep apnea in U.S. veterans. J Clin Sleep Med. 8(5):555-63, 2012.
12. Van de Heyning PH, Badr MS, Baskin JZ, Cramer Bornemann MA, De Backer WA, Dotan Y, Hohenhorst W, Knaack L, Lin HS, Maurer JT, Netzer A, Odland RM, Oliven A, Strohl KP, Vanderveken OM, Verbraecken J, Woodson BT. Implanted upper airway stimulation device for obstructive sleep apnea. Laryngoscope. 122(7):1626-33, 2012.
13. Soares D, Sinawe H, Folbe AJ, Yoo G, Badr S, Rowley JA, Lin HS. Lateral oropharyngeal wall and supraglottic airway collapse associated with failure in sleep apnea surgery. Laryngoscope. 122(2):473-9, 2012.
14. Yokhana SS, Gerst DG 3rd, Lee DS, Badr MS, Qureshi T, Mateika JH. Impact of repeated daily exposure to intermittent hypoxia and mild sustained hypercapnia on apnea severity. J Appl Physiol. 112(3):367-77, 2012.
15. Sankri-Tarbichi AG, Rowley JA, Badr MS. Inhibition of Ventilatory Motor Output Increases Expiratory Retro Palatal Compliance during Sleep. Respiratory Physiology and Neurobiology 176(3):136-43, 2011.
16. Sankri-Tarbichi AG, Badr MS. What is the cause of the loud snoring--and what should be done? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183(12):1730, 2011.
17. Sankri-Tarbichi AG, Richardson, NN, Chowdhuri S, Rowley JA, Badr MS. Hypocapnia is associated with increased upper airway expiratory resistance during sleep. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 177:108-113, 2011.
18. Sankri-Tarbichi AG, Rowley JA, Badr MS. Inhibition of Ventilatory Motor Output Increases Expiratory Retro Palatal Compliance during Sleep. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 176(3):136-43, 2011.
19. Gerst DG, Yokhana SS, Carney LM, Lee DS, Badr MS, Qureshi T, Anthouard MN, Mateika JH. The hypoxic ventilatory response and ventilatory long term facilitation are altered by time of day and repeated daily exposure to intermittent hypoxia. J Appl Physiol.110(1):15-28, 2011.
20. Chowdhuri S, Sinha P, Pranathiageswaran S, Badr MS. Sustained hyperoxia stabilizes breathing in healthy individuals during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 109(5)1378-83, 2010.
21. Chowdhuri A, Shanidze I, Pierchala L, Belen J, Mateika J, Badr MS. Effect of Episodic Hypoxia on the susceptibility to hypocapnic central apnea during NREM sleep. J. Appl Physiol. (2):369-77, 2010.
22. Salloum A, Rowley JA, Mateika JH, Chowdhuri S, Badr, MS. Increased Propensity for Central Apnea in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Effect of nCPAP. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med.181:189-193, 2010.
23. Lee DS, Badr MS, Mateika JH. Progressive augmentation and ventilatory long-term facilitation are enhanced in sleep apnoea patients and are mitigated by antioxidant administration. J Physiol. 587:5451-67, 2009
24. Sankri-Tarbichi AG, Rowley JA, Badr MS. Expiratory Pharyngeal Narrowing During Central Hypocapnic Hypopnea: A Mechanism of Upper Airway Narrowing during Sleep. Am J Resp Crit Care Med.179(4):313-9, 2009.
25. Lin HS, Toma R, Clavin C, Toma M, Badr MS, Rowley, JA. Tolerance of positive pressure airway pressure following site-specific surgery of the upper airway. Open Sleep Journal. 2008 1:34-39.
26. Wadhwa H, Gradinaru C, Gates GJ, Badr MS, Mateika JH. Impact of intermittent hypoxia on long-term facilitation of minute ventilation and heart rate variability in male and females; Do gender differences exist? J Appl Physiol. 2008;104(6):1625-33.
27. Pierchala LA, Mohammed AS, Grullon K, Mateika JH, Badr MS. Ventilatory long-term facilitation in non-snoring subjects during NREM sleep. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2008; 160(3):259-66.
28. Baptist AP, Shah B, Wang Y, Ager J, Badr MS. Exhaled nitric oxide levels during treatment in patients hospitalized with asthma. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2008; 29(2):171-6.
29. Chowdhuri S, Pierchala L, Aboubakr SE, Shkoukani MA, Badr MS. Long-term facilitation of genioglossus activity is present in normal humans during NREM sleep. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2008;160(1):65-75.
30. Halker RB, Pierchala LA and Badr MS. Upper Airway Mechanics and Post-Hypoxic Ventilatory Decline During NREM Sleep. Sleep Breath. 2007;11:165-170.
31. Rowley JA, Deebajah I, Parikh S, Najar A, Saha R, Badr MS. The influence of episodic hypoxia on collapsibility in subjects with obstructive sleep apnea. J.Appl Physiol. 2007;103(3)911-916.
32. Ahuja D, Mateika, JH, Diamond MP, Badr MS. Ventilatory sensitivity to carbon dioxide before and after episodic hypoxia in females treated with testosterone. J Appl Physiol. 2007;102(5):1832-8.
33. Lin, HS, Zuliani, G, Amjad EH, Prasad, AS, Badr MS, Pan, CG, Rowley, JA. Treatment compliance in patients lost to follow-up after polysomnography. Am Academy of Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;136;236-240.
34. Tzelepis GE, Bascom AT, Badr MS, Goshgarian HG. Effects of Theophylline on respiratory muscle strength in patients with traumatic tetraplegia. J Spinal Cord Med. 2006;29(3):227-33.
35. Harris DP, Balasubramaniam A, Badr MS, Mateika JH. Long-term facilitation of ventilation and genioglossus muscle activity is evident in the presence of elevated levels of carbon dioxide in awake humans. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;291(4):R1111-9.
36. Rowley JA, Zhou XS, Diamond MP, Badr MS. The determinants of the apnea threshold during NREM sleep in normal subjects. Sleep. 2006 Jan 1;29(1):95-103.
37. Mansour KF, Rowley JA, Badr MS. Measurement of pharyngeal cross-sectional area by finite element analysis. J Appl Physiol. 2006;100(1):294-303.
38. Khodadadeh B, Badr MS, Mateika JH. The ventilatory response to carbon dioxide and sustained hypoxia is enhanced after episodic hypoxia in OSA patients. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2006;150(2-3):122-34.
39. Tashkandi, Y, Badr MS, Rowley, JA. Determinants of the apnea index in a sleep center population. Sleep Breath. 2005;(4)9:181-186.
40. Rowley, JA, Tarbichi, AG, Badr MS. The use of a predicted CPAP equation improves titration CPAP success. Sleep Breath. 2005;(1)9:26-32.
41. Mateika JH, Omran Q, Rowley JA, Zhou X, Diamond M, Badr MS. Treatment with leuprolide acetate decreases the threshold of the ventilatory response to carbon dioxide in healthy males. J Physiol. 2004;561:637-646.
42. Morelli C, Badr MS, Mateika JH. Ventilatory responses to carbon dioxide at low and high levels of oxygen are elevated after episodic hypoxia in men compared with women. J Appl Physiol. 2004;97(5):1673-80.
43. Mansour, KF, Rowley, JA, Badr MS. Noninvasive determination of upper airway resistance and flow limitation. J Appl Physiol. 2004;97:1840-1848.
44. Omran AM, Aboubakr SE, Aboussouan LS, Pierchala L, Badr MS. Post-hypoxic ventilatory decline during NREM sleep: influence of sleep apnea. J Appl Physiol. 2004;96:2220-5.
45. Mateika JA, Mendello C, Obeid D, Badr MS. Peripheral chemoreflex responsiveness to hypoxia is increased following episodic hypoxia in awake humans. J. Appl. Physiol . 2004;96 (3):1197-1205.
46. Mansour K, Badr MS, Shkoukani MA, Rowley JA. Mathematical determination of inspiratory upper airway resistance using a polynomial equation. Sleep and Breathing. 2003;7:151-158.
47. Altarifi A, Badr MS, Tzelepis GE. Maximal dynamic expiratory pressures with fast and slow inspirations. Eur J Physiol. 2003;89:74-78.
48. Tarbichi ABS, Rowley JA, Shkoukani MA, Mahadevan K, Badr MS. Lack of gender difference in ventilatory chemoresponsiveness and post-hypoxic ventilatory decline. Res Physiol Neurobio. 2003;137 41-50.
49. Zhou XS, Rowley JA, Demirovic F, Diamond MP, Badr MS. Effect of testosterone on the apneic threshold in females during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 2003;94:101-107.
50. Babock M, Shkoukani, Aboubakr, SE and Badr MS. Determinants of long-term facilitation in humans during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 2003;94:53-59.
51. Morrell MJ, Arabi Y, Zahn BR, Meyer KC, Finn LA, Skatrud JB, Badr MS. Effects of surfactant on sleep-disordered breathing in humans. Euro Resp J. 2002;20:451-457.
52. Mansour KF, Rowley JA, Meshenish AA, Shkoukani MA, Badr MS. A mathematical model to detect inspiratory flow limitation during sleep. J Appl Physiol. 2002;93:1084-1092.
53. Rowley JA, Sanders CS, Zhan BR, Badr MS. Gender differences in upper airway compliance during NREM sleep: role of neck circumference. J Appl Physiol. 2002;92:2535-2541.
54. Shkoukani M, Babcock M, Badr MS: Effect of episodic hypoxia on upper airway mechanics in humans during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 2002;92:2565-2570.
55. Aboubakr, SE, Taylor A, Ford R, Siddiqi S, Badr MS: Long-term facilitation in obstructive sleep apnea patients during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 2001;91(6):2751-2757.
56. Rowley, JA, Zhou X, Vergine I, Shkoukani MA, Badr MS: Influence of gender on upper airway mechanics: upper airway resistance and Pcrit. J Appl Physiol. 2001;91(5):2248-2254.
57. Rowley, JA, Sanders, CS, Zahn, BR, Badr MS. The effect of rapid-eye movement (REM) sleep on retroglossal cross-sectional area and compliance in normal subjects. J Appl Physiol. 2001;91(1):239-48.
58. Morrell MJ, Finn L, Kim H, Peppard P, Badr MS, Young TB. Sleep fragmentation, daytime blood pressure and sleep disordered breathing in a population-based study. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 2000;162(6):2091-6.
59. Rowley JA, Aboussouan LS, Badr MS. The use of clinical prediction formulas in screening for obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep. 2000;23 (7): 929-930.
60. Yang EH, McHorney CA, Havighurst T, Badr MS, Weber S, Hla KM. Sleep apnea and quality of life. Sleep. 2000;23 535-541.
61. Badr MS, Zahn B. Upper airway resistance syndrome: Images in clinical medicine. N Engl J Med. 2000;432(19):1399-1408.
62. Zhou XS, Shahabuddin S, Zahn BR, Babcock MA, Badr MS. Effect of gender on the development of hypocapnic central apnea/hypopnea during NREM sleep. J Applied Physiol. 2000;89:192-199.
63. Morrell MJ, Arabi Y, Zahn BR, Badr MS. Progressive retrophalatal narrowing preceding obstructive apnea. Am J Respir and Crit Care Med 158:1974-1981, 1998.
64. Babcock M, Badr MS. Long-term facilitation in humans during REM sleep. Sleep. 1998; 21:7.
65. Rowley JA, Zahn BR, Babcock MA, Badr MS. The effect of rapid-eye movement (REM) sleep on upper airway mechanics in normal subjects. J Physiol. 1998;510:963-976.
66. Morrell MJ, Badr MS. Effects of NREM sleep on dynamic within breath changes in upper airway patency in humans. J Appl Physiol. 1998;84:190-199.
67. Taha BH, Dempsey JA, Weber SM, Badr MS, Skatrud JB, Young TB, Jacques AJ and Seow KC. Automated detection and classification of sleep disordered breathing from conventional polysomnography data. Sleep. 1997;20:991-1001.
68. Taha BH, Werkheiser M, Morrell MJ, Badr MS. Simultaneous digitization of upper airway fiberoptic images and respiratory signals. Sleep. 1997;20(10):883-890.
69. Badr MS, Morgan B, Toiber T, Crabtree D, Poleo N, Finn L, Skatrud J. Ventilatory response to induced auditory arousals during NREM sleep. Sleep. 1997;20(9):707-714.
70. Badr S, Kawak A, Skatrud J, Morrell M, Zahn B, Babcock M. Effect of induced hypopnea on upper airway patency in humans during NREM sleep. Resp Physiol. 1997;110:33-45.
71. Kahl B, Kumar A, Hale S, Badr S. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome in Wisconsin. Wisconsin Medical Journal. 1997;96:33-36.
72. Young T, Hutton R, Finn F, Badr MS, Palta M. The gender bias in sleep apnea diagnosis: Are women missed because they have different symptoms? Arch Int Med. 1996;156:2445-2451.
73. Morrell MJ, Dempsey JA, Badr MS. Cardiogenic oscillations and airway patency. (Letter). Sleep. 1996;19(3): 256-257.
74. Morgan B, Crabtree DC, Puleo DS, Badr MS, Toiber F, Skatrud JB. Neurocirculatory consequences of abrupt change in sleep state in humans. J Appl Physiol. 1996; 80:1627-1636.
75. Badr MS, Kawak AM. Post-hyperventilation hypopnea in humans during NREM Sleep. Resp Physiol. 1997;103:137-145.
76. Morrell MJ, Badr MS, Harms CA, Dempsey JA. Assessment of upper airway patency from cardiogenic oscillations in the flow signal. Sleep. 1995;18:(8):651-658.
77. Badr MS, Toiber F, Skatrud JB, Dempsey JA. Pharyngeal narrowing/occlusion during central sleep apnea. J Appl Physiol. 1995;(78) 5:1806-1815.
78. Wetter DW, Young TB, Bidwell TR, Badr MS and Palta M. Smoking as a risk factor for sleep-disordered breathing. Arch Int Med. 1994;154:2219-2224.
79. Badr MS, Grossman JE, Weber SA. Treatment of refractory sleep apnea with supplemental CO2. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 1994;150:561-564.
80. Badr MS, Skatrud JB, Dempsey JA. Effect of chemoreceptor stimulation and inhibition on total pulmonary resistance in humans during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 1994; 76(4): 1682-1692.
81. Young T, Palta M, Badr MS. Sleep disordered breathing (letter). N Engl J Med. 1993; 329:1429-1430.
82. Young T, Palta M, Dempsey J, Skatrud J, Weber S, Badr MS. Occurrence of sleep disordered breathing among middle-aged adults. N Engl J Med. 1993;328:1230-1235.
83. Badr MS, Skatrud JB, Dempsey JA. Determinants of post-stimulus potentiation in humans during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 1992;73:1958-1971.
84. Simon P, Skatrud J, Badr MS, Iber C, Griffin D, Dempsey J. Role of airway mechanoreceptors in the inhibition of inspiration during mechanical ventilation in humans. Am Rev Resp Dis. 1991;144:1033-1041.
85. Badr MS, Skatrud J, Simon P, Dempsey J. Effect of hypercapnia on total pulmonary resistance during wakefulness and during NREM sleep. Am Rev Resp Dis. 1991;144:406-414.
86. Henke KG, Dempsey JA, Badr MS, Kowitz JM, Skatrud JB. Effects of sleep-induced increases in upper airway resistance on respiratory muscle activity. J Appl Physiol. 1991;70:158-168.
87. Badr MS, Grossman J. Positional changes in oxygenation after massive pulmonary embolism. Chest. 1990; 98:1514-1516.
88. Skatrud JB, Badr MS, Begle RL, Juan D. Ventilatory response to single high dose estazolam in awake humans. J Clin Pharmacol. 1990;30:543-548.
89. Badr MS, Skatrud J, Dempsey J, Begle RL. Effect of mechanical loading on expiratory and inspiratory muscles during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 1990;68:1195-1202.
90. Begle RL, Badr MS, Skatrud J, Dempsey J. Effect of lung volume on upper airway resistance during NREM sleep. Am Rev Resp Dis. 1990;141:854-860.
91.Skatrud JB, Dempsey JA, Badr MS, Begle RL. Effect of high airway impedance on CO2 retention and respiratory muscle activity during NREM sleep. J Appl Physiol. 1998;65:1676-1685.
1. Romero R, Badr MS. A role for sleep disorders in pregnancy complications: challenges and opportunities. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 210(1):3-11, 2014.
2. Redline S, Badr MS, Chervin R; AASM Board of Directors. A snapshot of the practice of sleep medicine: a survey solicited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J Clin Sleep Med. 9(2):175-6, 2013.
3. Schwab RJ, Badr SM, Epstein LJ, Gay PC, Gozal D, Kohler M, Lvy P, Malhotra A, Phillips BA, Rosen IM, Strohl KP, Strollo PJ, Weaver EM, Weaver TE; ATS Subcommittee on CPAP Adherence Tracking Systems. An official American Thoracic Society statement: continuous positive airway pressure adherence tracking systems. The optimal monitoring strategies and outcome measures in adults. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013 Sep 1;188(5):613-20.|
4. Badr MS. The future is here. J Clin Sleep Med. 2013 Sep;9(9):841-3.
5. Zee PC, Szymusiak RS, Walsh JK, Mullignton JM, Drummond SP, Klerman EB, Martin JL, Pack AI, Poe GR, Rye DB, Turek F, Brager A, Collop N, Strollo PJ Jr, Fleishman S, Morgenthaler TI, Aronsky A, Badr M, Chervin R, Redline S, Rosen I, Shea SA, Watson NF, Wise M, Barrett JA. Sleep: A health imperative. Sleep. 1;35(6):727-34, 2012.
6. Kuna ST, Badr MS, Kimoff RJ, Kushida C, Lee-Chiong T, Levy P, McNicholas WT, Strollo PJ Jr, ATS/AASM/ACCP/ERS Committee on Ambulatory management of Adults with OSA. Proc AM Thorac Soc. Mar; 8(1):1-16, 2011.
7. Wise MS, Morgenthaler T, Badr S, Gruber R, Redline S, Shea SA. Health disparities in sleep medicine: responses to the American Sleep Medicine Foundation Humanitarian Projects Award program. J Clin Sleep Med. 15;7(6):583-4, 2011.
8. Strollo PJ Jr, Badr MS, Coppola MP, Fleishman SA, Jacobowitz O, Kushida CA. The future of sleep medicine. Sleep 1;34(12):1613-9, 2011.
9. Badr MS. Central Sleep Apnea in Patients with Congestive Heart Failure. Heart Fail Rev. 2009;14(3):135-41.
10. Chowdhuri S, Crook, ED, Taylor HA, Jr., Badr MS. Cardiovascular Complications of Respiratory Diseases. Am J Med Sci. 2007;334(5):361-380.
11. Badr MS. Approaches and controversies in the management of obstructive sleep apnea in adults. Continuous positive airway pressure therapy. Minerva Pneumonol. 2005;44:197-200.
12. Badr MS. Central Sleep Apnea. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice 2005 Jun;32(2):361-74.
13. Badr MS. Pathophysiology of Obstructive sleep apnea. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. W.B. Saunders Company. 2002; (14) 3:285-92.
14. Rowley JA, Badr MS. Obstructive sleep apnea: the latest treatment strategies. J Respir Dis. 2000;21:577-580.
15. Rowley JA, Badr MS. Obstructive sleep apnea: New insights aid in diagnosis. Journal of Resp Dis. 2000;21, (8) 505-515.
16. Badr MS. Pathogenesis of obstructive sleep apnea. In: Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases. Michael Lesch, M.D. and Edmund H. Sonenblick, M.D. Editors. 1999 41(5)323-330.
17. Badr MS. Pathophysiology of upper airway obstruction during sleep. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 1998;19(1): 21-32.
18. Badr MS. Effect of ventilatory drive on upper airway patency in humans during NREM sleep. Resp Physiol. 1996;(Invited Frontiers Review) 103:1-10.
19. Johnson BD, Badr MS, Dempsey JA. Impact of the aging pulmonary system on the response to exercise (Invited Review). Clinics in Chest Medicine. 1994;15(2): 229-246.
20. Henke KG, Badr MS, Skatrud JB, Dempsey JA. Load compensation and respiratory muscle function during sleep (Invited Review). J Appl Physiol. 1992;72(4): 1221-1234.
- 1999 Methods and composition for the Treatment of Sleep Apnea: Patient #P96222US. Primary Awardee in collaboration with Dr. Keith Meyer.
- 2003 System for Diagnosing and Treating Sleep Apnea. PCT Application Serial No. PCT/US03/24188
- 2003 Method for Simultaneously Recording Synchronous Respiratory Signals and Images of the Pharyngeal Airway. (Submitted).
- 2004 Noninvasive Measurement of Pharyngeal Cross-Sectional Area Using Finite Element Analysis #04-190.
- 2004 Digitization and fiber optic images of the pharyngeal upper airway - #04-191.
- 2006 Automated method to determine resistant, ventilation, carbon dioxide, total time and oxygen saturation. (Pending 2006)
- 2006 Automated method to determine EMG activity. (Pending 2006).
- 6329352 Method and composition for treating sleep apnea - December 11, 2001
- 207566310 System for diagnosing and treating sleep apnea - July 28, 2009
Position TitleProfessor, Research Educator
Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program Director
Medical Fellow/Resident/Student Instruction
Reviews and Books
- Badr MS. Normal sleep physiology and its assessment. Decision support medicine. http://www.decisionsupportinmedicine.com. 2012.
- Ahluwalia N, Owens RL, Badr MS, and Malhotra A. Sleep and the Control of breathing. Encyclopedia of sleep. 2012
- Badr MS. Research Opportunities in Sleep.. Encyclopedia of Sleep Science, 2012
- Badr MS. Central sleep apnea. In: Badr MS, ed. Essentials of Sleep Medicine: An Approach for Clinical Pulmonology. New York: Humana Press, pages 1-15, 2012.
- Rowley, JA, Badr MS. Normal sleep. In: Badr MS, ed. Essentials of Sleep Medicine: An Approach for Clinical Pulmonology. New York: Humana Press, pages 1-15, 2012.
- Rowley JA, Badr MS. Breathing during sleep: Ventilation and the upper airway. Carney P, Berry R, Geyer J, 2nd eds. Clinical Sleep Disorders. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins/Wolters Kluwer, 53-70, 2011.
- Krell WS and MS Badr. Treatment of Sleep Apnea with Positive Pressure Therapies: The Nuts and Bolts of nasal CPAP. Chapter 13 in: Sleep Medicine. K Yoremchuk and P.A. Wardrop, editors. Plural Publishing, San Diego, 2010.
- Badr MS. Funding Sources: Types and Description. Kushida, CA, Ed. A Guide for Developing, Writing and Implementing Scientific Research Grant Proposals, 2010.
- Badr MS. Ventilation control ( Spanish edition). Manual de Pruebas de Funcion Puomonar de la fisiologia a la practice, Juan Antonio Mazzei, Mariano E. Mazzei, Analia Barro, Carlos G Di Bartolo, Ed. Thomas Reuters, Prous Science a Thomson Reuers Business Barcelona Espana, 2009.
- Rowley JA, Badr MS. Diagnostic tools for sleep-related breathing disorders. In: Kushida, CA, ed. Handbook of Sleep Disorders, 2nd Edition. New York: Informa Healthcare, 2009, pages 365-375.
- Chowdhuri S, Badr MS. Central Sleep Apnea. In: Avidian A and Allessi C. Geriatric Sleep Medicine. Informa healthcare: pp157-177, 2008.
- Badr MS, Salloum A. Sleep: An Overview. Sharon Ostalecki, PhD (ed). In Fibromyalgia: The Complete Guide From Medical Experts and Patients. Jones and Bartlett Publishers. 2007, pp 25-40.
- Badr MS, Central sleep apnea syndrome. American College of Chest Physicians (PCCU) Volume 21 (2006).
- Badr MS, Rowley JA. Negative pressure ventilation. Encyclopedia of Respiratory Medicine. Elsevier, Ltd, 2006:450-454.
- Badr MS. Continuous positive airway pressure therapy. Encyclopedia of Respiratory Medicine 4:56-59, 2006
- Badr MS, Rowley, JA. Upper airway mechanics. In: Akay, M, Ed. Wiley Encyclopedia of Biomedical Engineering. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Interscience. 3665-3675, 2006.
- Badr MS, Mateika, JH. Gender differences in sleep-disordered breathing. In: Allan I. Pack (Ed), Sleep Apnea: Pathogenesis, Diagnosis and Treatment, 2006.
- Collop N, Badr S, Bradley D, Flemons W, Mahowald M, Marcus C, Rosen C, Sanders M, White D, Young, T. Sleep disordered breathing in women. Encyclopedia of Sleep Medicine. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Sleep a Comprehensive Handbook 643-649, 2005.
- Rowley JA, Badr MS. Breathing during sleep: Ventilation and the upper airway. Carney P, Berry R, Geyer J, eds. Sleep Medicine. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 57-72, 2005.
- Badr MS and Strohl, KP. Pathophysiology of Sleep-Disordered Breathing. Baum's Textbook of Pulmonary Diseases, Seventh Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Section XII, Chapter 69, 1405-1424, 2004.
- Badr MS. Pathogenesis of central sleep apnea. Uptodate, (A pulmonary textbook on CD-ROM). Mark Sanders, MD, Section Editor, Steven Weinberger, MD (Editor), 2002.
- Badr MS. Central sleep apnea syndrome. Sleep Medicine. Editors: Teofilo L Lee-Chiong, Jr., MD, Mary A. Carskadon, PhD, and Michael J Sateia, MD. Hanley & Belfus, Inc, Medical Publishers, 2001.
- Skatrud JB, Badr MS, Morgan BJ. Control of breathing during sleep and sleep disordered breathing. Altose & Kawakami MD, ed., Control of breathing in health and disease. New York: Marcel Dekker, 135:379-422, 1999.
- Badr MS. Management of Sleep apnea/hypopnea. Pulmonary and Critical Care Update. 12(8) November 1997.
- Dempsey JA, Harms CA, Morgan BJ, Badr MS, Skatrud JB. Sleep effects on breathing instability. Crystal RG, West JD eds., THE LUNG: Scientific Foundation. Second Edition, Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1997:2063-2071, 1996.
- Skatrud JB, Badr MS, Dempsey JA. Modulation of respiratory pattern during NREM sleep. Speck DF, Dekin MS, Revelette WR, Frazier DT, eds., Respiratory Control: Central and peripheral mechanisms. New York: The University Press of Kentucky, 226-230, 1993.
- Dempsey JA, Badr MS, and Skatrud JR. Regulation of post-hyperpneic breathing stability in sleeping humans. Kuna S, ed., Proceedings of the International Symposium on Sleep and Respiration in Aging Adults, 307-316, 1991.
- Dempsey S, Skatrud J, Badr MS, Henke K. Sleep effects on regulation of breathing and respiratory muscle functions in the lung. Crystal RG, West JB, eds., THE LUNG: Scientific Foundation, Raven Press, 1615-29, 1991.
- 1976-82 - M.D. - Damascus University Medical School, Damascus, Syria
- 2011 - MBA - University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee
2007-present Director, (ACGME) Sleep Fellowship Program
2008-2010 Executive Vice-President & Chief Medical Officer, Detroit Medical Center
2007-present Professor, Department of Physiology, Wayne State University School of Medicine
2005-2009 Chief of Service, Pulmonary and Critical Care, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine
2001-present Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Wayne State University College of Engineering, Detroit, MI
2000-present Professor, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
1999-present Chief, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
1996-present Director, Sleep Program, Department of Internal Medicine, Pulmonary/Critical Care Division, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
2005-2008 Associate Chairman, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine
2004-2006 Associate Chair; Research, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine
1997-2006 Director, Combined Sleep Fellowship Program, Pulmonary/Critical Care Division, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
1997-2000 Associate, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
1996-2000 Associate Professor, Pulmonary/Critical Care Division, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
1998-1999 Interim Head, Division of Pulmonary/Critical Care, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
1996 Associate Professor with Tenure, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
1990-1996 Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison
1988-1990 Clinical Instructor, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Restless Legs Syndrome